Skip to main content

Pineapple

I bought a pineapple solely for the purpose of drawing/painting it - being able to eat said pineapple is a nice bonus.

I went back to watercolor pencils for this piece. Pencils allow me to use a more familiar workflow and concentrate on creating the basic shapes that make up the object(s). Surprisingly, it's the color of these color pencils that really throws me off. There is a world of difference between the color on the pencil and the color on the paper (and that is further exacerbated by the addition of water). As I was working, it felt like I was just guessing the whole time.

I love the leaves protruding from the top: it was fun to try and assemble the shapes while thinking about the overall color. I am not such a big fan of the...um...pineapple skin? I got lost in the texture and rushed through the forms that make up the outside. The colors aren't even close. Still, it feels good to complete something this challenging. I want to take another attempt at this fruit before I finally decide to eat it.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Drawloween (at my own pace) - Pumpkins

 

Inktober Day 3 - "Bait"

Old school pen and ink. I haven't used a crow quill pen since high school - and, even then, I remember struggling to get it to work. This time, I thought I would try to create something using only cross-hatching. The prompt word today is "bait". This word took me into a lot of different ideas, but the one I ultimately landed on is based on the will-o-wisp. In my head, I imagined glowing orbs in front of a copse of swamp trees all created with layers of cross-hatching. Things had to be scaled back a bit. There are still two trees in the background if you look hard enough. Success? Sort of. It forced me to use a different kind of pen and, in doing so, made me want to keep going and get better with it.

Rules and requirements (mostly for me)

Initially, I was taking a look at my scanner for the maximum dimensions of a painting. I realize now that archiving paintings is a bit more involved than posting 300x300 pixel GIFs. So, some of these pieces will need to be photographed. Others will be scanned (provided the paper doesn't curl too badly). Here is the rough draft of my proposed project: I will create 2-3 finished watercolor pieces every week for the year 2014 The minimum dimensions for each piece will be 4x6" (no maximum) Materials list: Watercolor paint (in tubes or cakes), watercolor pencils, brushes, India Ink, bamboo pen, white gouache, and gold paint pen. Subject matter will change with every painting. I know there is a lot a person can learn from painting the same subject over and over, but this is not that project. New paintings will be posted on Tuesdays and Thursdays. Expect extra posts to occur between those days. Since the whole purpose of this project is to learn, I plan on reading and resear