Skip to main content

Mango

I have gotten into the habit of collecting things with the intention of painting or drawing them later. It is because of this practice, that I was unable to walk by the mangoes in the grocery store without bringing one home. What I created is sort of sloppy, flawed, enlightening, bold, and interesting all at once.

I was really disappointed when I first looked at this finished piece. The brush strokes look over-worked. The color is muddy in some areas. The overall shape seems flat rather than round. There is an abundance of blossoms and back-washes in the upper part - the result of some badly-timed brush strokes.

That was when I realized something important: I really had no idea what I was doing when I sat down to paint. It was easy enough to mix the colors - a little cadmium yellow, alizarin crimson, emerald green, and payne's grey. The application of those colors to the page, however, was unexpectedly difficult.

I used a lot of water and tried to blend the colors together smoothly. I applied glazing techniques to get subtle greens onto the paint. I attempted to build the shadows up slowly and diffuse the edges of my brush strokes. The results may not be mind-blowing or gallery-worthy, but that was never the point. This project has forced me to be more creative, learn new things, and look at my world in a new way. I am proud of this piece for all of the lessons it has taught me.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Drawloween (at my own pace) - Pumpkins

 

Inktober Day 3 - "Bait"

Old school pen and ink. I haven't used a crow quill pen since high school - and, even then, I remember struggling to get it to work. This time, I thought I would try to create something using only cross-hatching. The prompt word today is "bait". This word took me into a lot of different ideas, but the one I ultimately landed on is based on the will-o-wisp. In my head, I imagined glowing orbs in front of a copse of swamp trees all created with layers of cross-hatching. Things had to be scaled back a bit. There are still two trees in the background if you look hard enough. Success? Sort of. It forced me to use a different kind of pen and, in doing so, made me want to keep going and get better with it.

The World of the Small

Drawing and painting small objects is a lot of fun. There are a lot of details that one doesn't really pick up on when an object is viewed from afar. Small things, by virtue of their size, are always viewed this way. As far as the painting itself, it was fun to get some use out of my tiny brushes.