Skip to main content

Asian Pear, Flinching, and Repeating Mistakes

I hesitated before, during and after this painting was done. Before I started, I procrastinated while I tried to figure out how to approach painting this unique fruit. During the painting my brain asked, "are you really going to paint another fruit?". And when it was all done, I wondered if I should even bother posting it.

Look at this thing - it's flat, over-worked, unintentionally splotchy (except the areas where I used salt to create the splotchy effect intentionally), and the colors are completely off. It took me forever to finally just sit down and do it, and I sort of hate it. It looks like I stepped backward somehow.

That's my initial reaction, anyway. If I really felt like that, I don't think I would be able to continue on as an artist. I made some mistakes here and there, and they resulted in something I don't really care for. But I want to step away for a while, mix up some fresh paint, and try it again. Maybe I'll try something different. Maybe I'll fail again in a different way.

This is why art is frustrating. This is why art isn't for everyone. This is why art is something I love.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Drawloween (at my own pace) - Pumpkins

 

Inktober Day 3 - "Bait"

Old school pen and ink. I haven't used a crow quill pen since high school - and, even then, I remember struggling to get it to work. This time, I thought I would try to create something using only cross-hatching. The prompt word today is "bait". This word took me into a lot of different ideas, but the one I ultimately landed on is based on the will-o-wisp. In my head, I imagined glowing orbs in front of a copse of swamp trees all created with layers of cross-hatching. Things had to be scaled back a bit. There are still two trees in the background if you look hard enough. Success? Sort of. It forced me to use a different kind of pen and, in doing so, made me want to keep going and get better with it.

Horse in Ink and Brush

Based on a toy horse I use for reference. I don't have a lot of experience with ink and brush - but I thought tonight would be a great time to just play around and try something new. Without the pressure of creating a masterpiece, I went to work immediately. I think I may have mixed too much water into my ink for this one. I really like some of the lines and relationships here. The proportions are pretty messed up, but this may be the closest I've come to getting a horse to look like a horse. I'll probably do more with ink and brush soon.