Skip to main content

Back at the foot...

Life happened. I have always enjoyed that expression - it's great shorthand for "a lot of things in my life  transpired to keep me from doing what I love". Even better, that phrase takes the blame off of me for not keeping up with the painting, drawing, blogging and thinking. I can't say that I haven't been extremely busy, I just know that I really didn't have to stop being an artist during the busy period.

I moved to a new place. I'm typing this from a completely different office. My paints and paper are rearranged. I'm removing the dry paint from my palette. I am back where I started - only now, I haven't set any sort of rules for myself to keep me on track.

A good friend asked me the other day, "So, what is your dream job anyway? If you could make money doing what you love, what would that look like?" I didn't know exactly how to respond. I love art and design - but that is so vague and broad. What do I like to design? What kind of art am I really comfortable with?

Over the next week or so, I would like to set up some rails - some schedules, guidelines, and rules for a project that will help me find out who I am and where I fit in. It will be like climbing a mountain (I presume) that I never quite reached the top of. Armed only with the knowledge of the paths I've already taken, and a vague idea of a destination.

This should (hopefully) be interesting.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Drawloween (at my own pace) - Pumpkins

 

Inktober Day 3 - "Bait"

Old school pen and ink. I haven't used a crow quill pen since high school - and, even then, I remember struggling to get it to work. This time, I thought I would try to create something using only cross-hatching. The prompt word today is "bait". This word took me into a lot of different ideas, but the one I ultimately landed on is based on the will-o-wisp. In my head, I imagined glowing orbs in front of a copse of swamp trees all created with layers of cross-hatching. Things had to be scaled back a bit. There are still two trees in the background if you look hard enough. Success? Sort of. It forced me to use a different kind of pen and, in doing so, made me want to keep going and get better with it.

Horse in Ink and Brush

Based on a toy horse I use for reference. I don't have a lot of experience with ink and brush - but I thought tonight would be a great time to just play around and try something new. Without the pressure of creating a masterpiece, I went to work immediately. I think I may have mixed too much water into my ink for this one. I really like some of the lines and relationships here. The proportions are pretty messed up, but this may be the closest I've come to getting a horse to look like a horse. I'll probably do more with ink and brush soon.